Obesity is a term which is used to indicate the disease state of extremely overweight individuals. More than 50% of American adults are overweight or obese. Obesity has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, kidney disease, cancer, stroke and depression, among many other medical problems. If obesity is untreated, the likelihood of premature death increases by 50-100%, when compared to non-obese individuals.
Causes of obesity may include:
- A genetic inheritance from your parents
- Your body’s inability to turn food into energy efficiently
- Unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise
- Influences in your environment
- Illness, such as hypothyroidism
- Psychological factors
There are many factors which contribute to obesity.
Weight-loss surgery has been proven to be the most effective treatment of obesity.